Last revised: 13 APR 2015
At Odyssey, we respect your personal information.
We are a social network and online platform for Maritime professionals. Odyssey’s mission is to connect Maritime professionals to allow them to be more productive and successful. Our registered users (‘Members’) share their professional identities, engage with their network, exchange professional insights, post and view relevant content, and find business and career opportunities. Content on some of our services is also visible to unregistered viewers (‘Visitors’). We believe that our services allow our Members to effectively compete and achieve their full career potential.
We have implemented appropriate security safeguards designed to protect your information in accordance with industry standards
Maintaining your trust is our top priority, so we adhere to the following principles to protect your privacy:
We protect your personal information and will only provide it to third parties:
- with your consent;
- where it is necessary to carry out your instructions;
- as reasonably necessary in order to provide our features and functionality to you;
- when we reasonably believe it is required by law, subpoena or other legal process; or
- as necessary to enforce our User Agreement or protect the rights, property, or safety of Odyssey, our Members and Visitors, and the public.
1. Information collected
We may collect and use the following types of personal information:
- Computer Information:
Information about your computer and about your visits to and use of our websites (which may include your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, referral source, entry page, exit page, length of visit, number of page views, route taken through our website, and similar information);
When you create an account with us, we collect information (including your name, email address, and password).
- Profile Information:
We collect information when you fill out a profile. A complete Odyssey profile that includes professional details – like your job title, education, and skills – helps you get found by other people for opportunities. Information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our platform.
- Any other information that you choose to send to us.
2. Personal data usage
We may use your personal information to:
- administer the website;
- improve your browsing experience by personalizing the website;
- send you general (non-marketing) communications or email notifications which you have specifically requested;
send you newsletters and other marketing communications relating to our business or the businesses of carefully-selected third parties which we think may be of interest to you by post or, where you have specifically agreed to this, by email or similar technology (you can inform us at any time if you no longer require marketing communications);
- provide third parties with statistical information about our users (but this information will not be used to identify any individual user);
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website.
- to conduct our own surveys and polls and also help third parties do this type of research.
Your participation in surveys or polls is up to you. You may also opt out of getting invitations to participate in surveys.
We offer a premium service to recruiters and others, which can be used to search for, organize, and communicate with potential candidates or offer business opportunities. In some cases we allow the export of public profile information, bringing candidate and employers in contact.
You can control how your information is exported by changing which parts of your public profile are accessible to search engines.
In addition, we may disclose information about you:
- to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk); and
- to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset which we are (or are contemplating) selling.
We may employ third parties to help us with the Services.
We may process your information outside the country where you live.
4. Member’s Choices & Obligations
4.1. Rights to Access, Correct, or Delete Your Information, and Closing Your Account
You can change your registered information at any time by editing your profile, deleting content that you have posted. You may close your account by contacting us.
4.2. Data Retention
We keep your information for as long as your account is active or as needed. For example, we may keep certain information even after you close your account if it is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce this agreement.
A cookie consists of information sent by a web server to a web browser, and stored by the browser. The information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting of cookies.
6. Your rights
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you.
You may instruct us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes (by email or otherwise) at any time. (In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal data for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of the use of your personal data for marketing purposes.)
7. Securing your personal data
We will take reasonable precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. Of course, data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
8. International data transfers
Information which you provide may be transferred to countries which do not have data protection laws equivalent to those in force in the European Economic Area.
In addition, personal information that you submit for publication on the website will be published on the internet and may be available, via the internet, around the world.
You expressly agree to such transfers of personal information.
9. Policy amendments
10. Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of those websites.
BY eMAIL at: firstname.lastname@example.org
BY PHONE at: +30 6946503922